Dear Parents and Carers
A very warm welcome back after a hopefully relaxed, rewarding and enjoyable summer break. I am writing to you today to inform you of some changes for this academic year and some very exciting developments that will take place in Prestatyn High School this year.
- Summer 2019 saw the school and our outgoing Year 11s achieve the best ever results. The percentage of our pupils achieving 5 higher grade passes of a C grade or above including English and Maths increased by 10%. These results were a testament to the hard work and dedication of the pupils and all of the staff here at PHS. This was all achieved in an environment of much tougher and demanding GCSE qualifications. We have even greater hopes and expectations of the current Year 11 group.
- Our A level results continued to rise and for the 3rd year in a row we have improved on the year before. Our results in 2019 put us in the top 25% of schools in Wales and England. We are exceptionally proud of our Year 13s and the results they gained this year.
These amazing results in Y11 and Y13 reinforce our belief that what we are doing day to day is the right thing to do and that the high standards we hold are having an impact. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all members of staff and parents for their part in these excellent results.
- There has been major investment over the summer break in the school including the replacement/renewal of the all-weather pitch surface and additional pathways around the school. Over the next 6 months four of the science labs will be completely refurbished to the highest of industry standards.
- There are many other works on the way this year including additional fencing at the front of the school and an increase in the capacity of our car parks to reduce congestion on Princes Avenue. Please watch this space for further updates this year.
- We have developed a new Additional Learning Needs Hwb in the school so that we can improve and develop our ability to impact on the needs of pupils who need extra support in the school.
- With the support of the Local Authority we have created a new resource in the school called the Engagement Centre Prestatyn (ECP). This centre will be for pupils who need extra support in accessing mainstream education due to their behavioural needs. This facility will provide an enriching curriculum, teach selected young people how to behave socially in and around school and how to develop their skills in the classroom so that they and others can make maximum progress in lessons. If your child is referred to the ECP you will be given further information. The ECP is designed to help pupils that are struggling to access their lessons and therefore are falling behind in their education.
- The school has also started an internal inclusion support project with the aim that no pupils will be externally excluded from PHS. This inclusion support will allow our pastoral team to deliver training to pupils so that any negative behaviours that have arisen, are dealt with immediately and modified rather than the pupil being sent home.
- The school is launching a large initiative this year to reward all pupils and we will also have another Awards Evening early next year.
Our unswerving commitment to having the highest standards of attendance, punctuality and uniform remain the same. Our whole school attendance target is 97% and pupils on target to achieve/exceed this will be regularly rewarded. Any pupil failing to comply with our uniform policy will be challenged and parents contacted, in exceptional circumstances pupils will be sent home to dress correctly.
All staff and pupils are very proud of the way the new uniform looks in the community and I would like to thank all parents and carers for their support. I am sure the whole community are as delighted as we are with the improving outcomes this great school is achieving.
I look forward to your continued support this academic year. If you have any questions or require any further information please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Neil Foley – B.Sc. MA.